Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Idol or I Doll?

I got sucked in. For the first year I got sucked in. I can't explain why but American Idol has been a staple in our house for the past 2 months. I vowed never to watch because the show spits out the flavor of the month rather than a true "talent". Find a pretty face and\or a nice voice then plug into the formula.

Now all things being equal I'm not much for pop music. If I could pour molten lead down the throats of Mariah Carey, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Celine Dion I would. But their loaded while my taste ends up in small arenas or clubs.

It further came to a head when "America" voted off Carly Smithson. Not the most polished of voices but the girl could perform. Jesus Christ, Superstar was an amazing show and watching her enjoy it as much as she did should've allowed her to move on (while reggae boy mulled through the same crap over and over and over...). Taking my stand to kick the AI habit they sucked me back in with Neil Diamond week, only to be almost completely sickened by the weak attempts at singing Neil's classics. Blah.

So here I am during finals week, trying to care. Knowing full well that DA will take this thing because he is 1) cute 2) has a refined voice and 3) all he sings are ballads. As a total cycnic I don't believe for one second the American public will see beyond the boredom that is DA. Let me restate, I'm not saying the kid doesn't have a great voice. What I am saying is that he isn't anything special as the total package. I can see him on Broadway. I can see him on the Disney Channel. Beyond that I can't see him being a star.

DC, on the other hand, has the presence and the personality. His voice isn't as polished but he can sing a ballad or a rocker and you're still interested. He also sings with passion where as DA sounds plastic. How could anyone think that DA's rendition of Imagine was good? It lacked all soul and the lyrics were lost behind the syrup of DAs voice. School girls will love him and I'm sure he'll have top selling ballads but if you buy a CD can you honestly expect a full lineup of great DA songs? DC can give you the range of styles to keep you interested.

I do think DA will win simply because I have no faith in the American music public. Their taste tends to be throw away music that can't stand the test of time. But I guess that is what POP music is all about. If American Idol is about the total package then DC is your winner. If is about who is vocally more polished then DA is your winner. If the mass of voters are giddly little school girls then DA is your winner.

What happened to me?

No comments: