Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Fall of the Roaming Empire

I was joking with my son the other day about the paradox of life. At what point do we begin dying? As I approach the big "40", society says you should evaluate where you are. Really? To be fair I've been doing that for about the past 24 years. Considering where I could be, the parts that don't bring at least 50.1% of total joy pale. More satisfying job? Sure. Better family? No. End of argument.

I don't want a new\fast car. I don't need a young girl...well any more than I have for the past 28 years. :) I don't buy the mid-life crisis mantra. Interesting note:

A midlife crisis is experienced between the ages of 40 and 60. It was first identified by the psychologist Carl Jung and is a normal part of the maturing process.



To circle back, dying can't be such an open process. Are we speaking biologically or mentally? Spiritually (whatever that means) or process wise? I mean, life is a process so you could argue that you start dying when you give up. When you consider that the world has given you all it can and now you just sit back and let it take you away.

There should only be one fall of the roaming empire...when the line goes flat. Until then we should be obligated to move on to new ideas and places. Ensure that you retain that foundation that all empires must have...community. Family. Friends. And this isn't some mid-life comment. It is youth and elderly based. It is a realization of Truth.

No comments: